Friday 23 April 2010

Walk like you mean it, strut like you don't care

Sitting in the sunshine on Carnaby Street following coffee with freelance stylist Tanja Martin who's been giving me tips and advice on how to go about getting into the styling industry. What ive learnt? That I am about to embark on the poorest and most knackering years of my life....working for free to gain respect and experience whilst spending every spare waking minute waitressing/working behind a bar to pay any necessary bills. In other words pretty much working around the clock in pursuit of the end goal. However, a good friend of mine once told me that nothing worth having ever came easily...so im not about to give up just yet. yling clearly comes with its highs and lows, and her toughest styling assignment to date? creating, a high end men's underwear shoot without making it look, how do I put this...... 'too gay' (!)
Mooched around the concessions floor in Topshop's flagship and discovered a cool brand Quontum. Specializes in extreme cutout body con, featuring a high volume injection of chiffon. As is standard with taking photos of pieces that I love in stores, I had the usual interrogation. Luckily they weren't a jobsworth, and said I didnt look like the sort who would rip off someone else's designs (whatever that looks like?!) This turned into a half hour conversation discovering that the guy's mother was the designer and owner of Quontum, and there may be potential creative oppertunities with her. The dress would look awesome with black suede platform ankle boots/pair of bondage strap sandals, bare legs and a dirty South American tan.


Had an interview with GQ Style for a possible internship whilst they create the next biannual issue. Nightmare last night trying to decide what to wear. Dressing to impress a top men's style magazine is a whole different ball park. In the end I went with a black chiffon mini dress, paired down with a dove grey boyfriend jacket, faithful leaopard print scarf which always adds punch, statement bangles and studded oversize clutch. I was asked to describe the look that I would bring to the magazine if I were to style a shoot.....something I probably should have put more thought into. Thinking on my feet I opted for 'classic with an alternative twist, distressed dapper' which he seemed to like the sound of.
Leaving Vogue House that afternoon following the interview I discovered, low and behold, smack bang next door - my good friend, Itsu :-)
Oh and im using my All Saints gift card case as my new oyser card holder. Much more understated than the yellow plastic tat National Rail offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kiyomi Style

Kiyomi Style
from the girl with flowers in her hair

Followers