Monday 26 April 2010

Aviator jackets and the death of the cupcake

Apparently, as stated by Sunday Times Style last week, cupcakes are SO last season, and the stylish new kid on the block is the macaroon. If purchasing the below from Lola's Kitchen makes me unfashionable, then I reckon I can live with that.
However, sometimes I wish things didnt make it 'in fashion.' 'In fashion' then leads to accessible, which results in overexposure...and then 'no longer fashionable.' With macaroons, the very nature of their exclusivity is what makes them so special. To be fair, being born in Paris, they were always going to be chic. But the fact that you have to hunt them down to purchase the beautiful little treats from Laduree and Pierre Herme gives them that je ne sais quoi edge. As soon as they are announced 'on trend and in fashion' its just a downward spiral before they lose their 'untouchable' status. (Bear with me, this post does relate to fashion eventually.) Take the cupcake. Carrie featured eating a cupcake in an episode of Sex in the City. Soon after, England cottoned on to the US cupcake craze and Hummingbird Bakery and Lola's Kitchen were born. With their rainbow piped icing sprinkled with crystilised rose petals, freeze dried strawberries and glitter, they are every girls eyegasmic food. Sure enough, everyone jumped onto the band wagon, and all of a sudden you could get cupcakes from Tesco Express. And then the magic was gone.
I have yet to fulfil my dream of visiting every Laduree tea room around the world. Ok, so far I have only crossed Paris off the list, but since visiting Paris, I have made it my silent mission to visit the Laduree tea rooms in Tokyo, Monaco, London and Switzerland. However, if macaroons become available from your Sainsburys Local, this fairytale mission will have to be aborted.


My fashion link relates to the Burberry AW10 collection. I have been a long time lover of shearling, trying to find a brown distressed leather jacket with a shearling collar trim and cuffs.They are difficult to source and unless you can find an oversized vintage men's version, they come with a hefty price tag. Acne have pretty much my ideal, but at £750 a pop, its always been a no go. Then, this season, Burberry decides to take inspiration from the two World Wars and unleash the aviator jacket. With its HUGE oversize collar and sheepskin detailing, it is 100% spot on.


However, in the back of my mind all I can think is - you b*stards - now every high street and its mother will be racing to see who can get the trend onto the shop floor the fastest. The accessory that I have lusted after for years all of a sudden becomes everyone's A/W must have, before I even had a chance to own/wear it! 
  

3 comments:

  1. Ha ! Got given one 3 months ago... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this post has inspired you to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep feels like it has the official stamp of approval now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Kiyomi Style

Kiyomi Style
from the girl with flowers in her hair

Followers